Saturday 26 February 2011

#Active Learning : The Lecture Challenge

In my last blog I spoke of student empowerment, involvement and interaction in brief, now I bring a wider picture.

 My lecturer challenged me to take his lecture for him on strategic advantage to find out what I would do differently as a student, I found that a lot of my ideas are similar to what he would have done. Non-Traditional lecturing, a form of #Active Learning. The basic idea that I had was theory, stakeholder application and personal application. Put simply, the lecture would explain the theory then work by the PEE method and give examples in application to the students stakeholder position as a stakeholder of the university 'an individual who is dependent on the organization and who is directly effected by the actions of the organization'. Then personal question such as how would theory effect your future organization or organisation you will work for
.
Before embarking on such a venture I thought that I should get some thoughts and ideas from the real world, the students and this is what I got :

The Challenge and The Student Opinion

Listen!

When actually doing this lecture, we had a guest speaker in, Andy Gilbert from GoMAD thinking, The MD and founder, an absolute genius in my eyes, I am currently reading his book. Never the less I organised the lecture to have strong focus on him. I tried to use his fresh face and awesome ideas to inspire the students to contribute, the man said some amazing things and then it came to the crunch. The theory, when getting Miles' input to explain the theory when implementing my ideas I was met with a strong resistance, it seems to me that the lecture stand was a proverbial wall between me and the rest of the students. I did not understand how students couldn't give opinions to simple questions yet I had the balls to get up and talk to them with the relatively the same understanding as them on the subject and it kind of made me angry.

However after suggestion from Milo, people wrote their questions on paper. This seemed like a breakthrough this was a beginning point to some change in the lecture, peoples opinions were being voiced, there was now a dialogue rather than what lectures tend to be, a monologue and a lot of scribbling.

The questions were mainly about the real world which clearly is what the students were interested in, many were gauging what Andy had spoken about in the lectures

One student asked "are the strategies and forms of management theories that we learn actually implemented into real life business, or is it all common sense"

Another asked, how do you become a good business and motivate others?

And finally, The one that took me was from a question of : What do you want from DMU?

the students question was: A good degree and employability.

My answer and I'm sure Andy would agree is that why is the student saying that the university should make those prospects, responsibility is like a chefs kitchen, if the waiters do not serve the dishes at the right time then the dish will be ruined. Equally if the dish is prepared incorrectly or parts of the dish done at the wrong time, the waiter is doomed from the word go and their the one to look the fool.

Some students don't engage to the world around them and if it is possible, bring that world to them, then maybe they will then take that first step. After all most of us use stabilisers on our bikes before we can truly ride them......

After the lecture we reviewed the lecture

Listen!>
and spoke about the culture of the lecture and things that could be done, Andy Gilbert really does deserve his money as some of the suggestions though simple were so innovative

Listen!

Also available at http://audioboo.fm/DMUandME

until the next blog, thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment